15 Free Microsoft Project Certification Exam Prep Questions
1. You would like to add a row at the top of your project schedule that rolls up or sums all the information below. What is the easiest way to do that?
a. Insert a Summary Task at the top of your schedule and indent all tasks below it.
b. Enable the Project Summary Task through >Tools, >Options
c. Insert a task at the top of your schedule and establish the predecessors appropriately.
d. Enable the Project Summary Task through >Project, >Project Information
2. You would like to quickly see only the tasks and milestones within your project schedule (not the summary tasks). Which is the easiest way to do that?
a. Choose >Tools, >Options, and uncheck the Show Summary Tasks option
b. Choose >Project, >Filter, >Tasks
c. Outdent all tasks and milestones and delete the Summary Tasks
d. Choose >Project, >Group, >Group by tasks
3. You have a task that spans 5 days in Duration, has only one Resource assigned, and consists of 40 hours of planned Work. Due to a change in a delivery date, you discover that you now need to complete this task in 3 days or less. You have an additional resource on the team who could help with this task. How should you configure this task before adding the second resource?
a. Set Type to Fixed Duration, and Effort Driven to Yes
b. Set Type to Fixed Units, and Effort Driven to Yes
c. Set Type to Fixed Work, and Effort Driven to No
d. Set Type to Fixed Work, and Effort Driven to Yes
4. You have a resource on your team who is only available 50% of the time. She is responsible for working on only one task next week. The original estimate of Work for this task was 20 hours. She just informed you that based upon some new found information, the task is really going to take 30 hours worth of Work to complete. There is no one else that can assist with this task. How should you configure this task before updating the Work?
a. Set Effort Driven to Yes, then input 30 hours Work
b. Set Type to Fixed Duration, then input 30 hours Work
c. Set Type to Fixed Units, then input 30 hours Work
d. Set Effort Driven to No, then input 30 hours Work
5. Which 5 fields get copied when you save a Baseline?
a. Name, Duration, Start, Finish, Resource Name
b. Duration, Start, Finish, % Complete, Work
c. Duration, Start, Finish, Work, Cost
d. Name, Duration, Start, Finish, Cost
6. You just updated the Duration of a task within the execution phase of your project and then noticed that the current Finish date of the project changed. What most likely caused this?
a. The Finish date of this task was linked to the project Finish date
b. This was the last task in the plan
c. This task had no successor and the Finish date for this task is the latest date within the project schedule
d. This task is a task on the critical path, and adjusting the Duration caused all remaining tasks on the critical path to adjust
7. What is the easiest way to show only the Milestones and Summary Tasks within your project schedule?
a. Click on >Project, >Filter for, >Milestones
b. Click on >Project, >Group by, >Milestones
c. Insert the column Milestone, turn on AutoFilter, then filter for “Yes”
d. Using the AutoFilter, filter for “Duration = 0”
8. You click on the Resource Sheet view and notice that one of the resource names appears in Red. What does this mean?
a. The name is misspelled
b. The resource is not assigned to any tasks
c. The resource is over-allocated
d. The resource has not been properly added to the Resource Sheet
9. You would like to see a list of all the resources and the tasks that they are assigned to. What view best displays this information?
a. Resource Sheet
b. Task Usage
c. Gantt Chart
d. Resource Usage
10. You are managing a project to add a new kitchen onto an older home. The Plumber owns the task of Install Plumbing. The Electrician owns the task of Install Electric. Both tasks span a duration of 5 days each. The initial plan was to have all the plumbing complete before installing the electric. However, you would like to compress the overall duration of these two tasks, so you talk to both the Electrician and the Plumber. It is decided that the Electrician could begin his work 2 days before the Plumber is complete. How would you alter your schedule?
a. Figure out which day the plumber will be complete, subtract two days, then input that as the Start date for Install Electricity
b. Establish a Finish-to-Start relationship between Install Plumbing and Install Electricity, and include a 2 day Lag
c. Establish a Finish-to-Start relationship between Install Plumbing and Install Electricity, and include a -2 day Lag
d. Establish a Start-to-Finish relationship between Install Plumbing and Install Electricity, and include a 2 day Lag
11. You are in the execution phase of your project and have just made updates to your schedule. You click on the Resource Usage view and discover that a resource who is fully dedicated to your team is now over-allocated because he will be working on two tasks at the same time. Which of the following is NOT an option for eliminating this over-allocation?
a. Change this resources Max Units to 90%
b. Re-assign one of the tasks to someone else
c. Add additional resources to a task or tasks as necessary
d. Extend the Duration of a task or tasks as necessary
12. You are in the execution phase of your project and just updated the Duration of a number of tasks. Now you notice that the current Finish date is past the finish date that you promised your customer. You baselined this project before beginning the execution phase and would like to see which task or tasks is causing the Finish date to extend past your target. Which is the best way to achieve this?
a. Switch to the Tracking Gantt View
b. Insert the Finish Variance column and then filter for Critical Tasks
c. Insert the Baseline Finish column and compare to Finish
d. Insert the Start Variance column and then filter for Critical Tasks
13. You have two tasks. You would like Task B to start 2 days after Task A has finished. How would you configure the Predecessor field for Task B?
a. FS+2 days
b. FS-2 days
c. SF+2 days
d. SF-2 days
14. You have two tasks. You would like Task B to start at the same time Task A starts. How would you configure the Predecessor field for Task B?
15. You have two tasks. You would like Task B to start 2 days after Task A has started. How would you configure the Predecessor field for Task B?
a. FS+2 days
b. FS-2 days
c. SS+2 days
d. SS-2 days
Note: Successfully completing this exam in no way guarantees you will pass any Microsoft Project exam. It is merely meant to test your understanding of how the tool functions.
See related article: How to Prepare for the Microsoft Project 2007 Certification Exam
Note: You may find this book helpful: